Our simple idea grew into a successful education program thanks to the generosity of hundreds of supporters. To continue growing our impact, we need your help.
Deciding to support the Bird School Project is more than a donation.
We maintain close connections with our donors in trust that their donation stemmed from a greater passion to enhance natural history opportunities for children. When we receive a donation, we understand that our dreams are the donors' dreams, too. The following people have significantly supported The Bird School Project and have enabled us to do this critical work. We are extremely grateful for their generosity!
UCSC Social Sciences Division
Alec and Claudia Webster
March Family Foundation
The Pollination Project
Lisa and Josh Greer
Tim and Cindy Condon
In May 2016, The Bird School Project participated in UC Santa Cruz's first annual Giving Day crowdfunding campaign. With record-setting support from over 320 donors, we won a $10,000 prize and raised a total of over $25,000! This grassroots funding is a key element to our success. Join us this year on March 8th, 2017 to help us break our record!
Goals for the 2016-2017 School Year
- Reach over 2,000 elementary and middle school students for a total of 4,000 outside science hours during the 2016-17 school year.
- Build relationships with participating teachers, schools, environmental organizations, and district administrators in the Monterey Bay area.
- Expand our website, social media presence, and outreach efforts in order to diversify the reach of the program to new students and teachers.
- Expand our staff time to include additional instruction, program development, assessment, and community outreach.
- Expand our internship program to facilitate a hands-on teacher training experience for more undergraduate students who are interested in environmental education
- Increase our teaching capacity by securing an additional classroom set of binoculars and field guides for our life science unit.
- Increase classroom resources and follow up lesson plans with cross-cutting concepts for teachers to smoothly integrate life science curriculum into their own inquiry-based science lessons.
- Create a bi-lingual BSP field journal and accompanying curriculum.