Our simple idea grew into a successful education program thanks to the generosity of hundreds of supporters. To continue growing our impact, we need your help.
Support BSP's Objectives
- Reach over 2,000 elementary and middle school students for a total of 4,000 outside science hours during the 2017-18 school year.
- Build relationships with participating teachers, schools, environmental organizations, and district administrators in the Monterey Bay area.
- Expand BSP's presence and impact in the Monterey Bay region by hiring additional instructors.
- Implement an educator training program for classroom teachers, interns, and volunteers to learn core routines in outdoor, inquiry-based teaching methods.
- Expand our internship program by facilitating a 10-week course in professional practices for experiential science education through UCSC.
- Increase our teaching capacity by securing an additional classroom set of binoculars and field guides for our life science unit.
- Publish a physical and digital curriculum, accessible to classroom teachers, that is both in-line with leading inquiry-based pedagogy and addresses key outcomes of the Next Generation Science Standards for 5th through 8th grade students.
Deciding to support the Bird School Project is more than a donation.
We maintain close connections with our donors in trust that their donation stemmed from a greater passion to enhance natural history opportunities for children. When we receive a donation, we understand that our dreams are the donors' dreams, too. The following people, foundations, and groups have made significant financial contributions to the Bird School Project and have enabled us to do this critical work. We are extremely grateful for their generosity!
UCSC Social Sciences Division
March Conservation Fund
Santa Cruz bird Club
Sierra Club Ventana Chapter
The Pollination Project
Alec & Claudia Webster
Lisa & Josh Greer
Tim & cindy condon
On March 8, 2017, The Bird School Project participated in UC Santa Cruz's second annual Giving Day crowdfunding campaign. With support from 241 donors, we raised a grand total of $15,556 in a single day! This grassroots funding is a key element to our success and we have extreme gratitude toward all who participated.